This post contains a paragraph that may be disturbing to some. Sorry for that but I have to tell the truth even when it is disturbing.
We huddled together in the darkness, five of us and our dog, in the room we had chosen as our safe room. The only sound was the occasional roar or bark of our other dogs outside, and we feared that the terrorists were getting closer.
Aviram, my partner, was afraid that even the faint light from my tablet would give us away, so I checked the news updates sparingly. But as the minutes ticked by, I couldn't help but feel a growing sense of dread.
After about half an hour, we got an update that it was a false alarm and we came out and continued our daily business "as usual". This was the longest half an hour I it came to my senses, the horror that the people of southern Israel had waiting for hours in their homes, hopefully in a shelter, hearing the shooting of the Hamas-Isis terrorists in their neighbors home, understanding that Hamas-Isis terrorists are in their homes and holding the door of the shelter to prevent them from murdering babies, children and adults and raping there daughters.
It also made me realize, what I was already contemplating about, that I cannot leave my family and do leg 2 of the Clipper Race. Few hours later, I sent an email to the Race manager that I'm pulling out of this leg.
Well, I already was sure that the foreign company in which I had to fly to Uruguay will cancel the flight, however I started and could find a flight to Madrid with an Israeli airline company and continue from there to Montevideo (with the original flight which stopover in Madrid).
The encouraging news are that the race management has agreed to provide me a berth in leg 5 of the race, which means that, unless reality will knock again on my door, that I'll pass both the Equator and the international time line.
No comments:
Post a Comment